Gluten-free Friday: Sandwich bread
Since gluten is found in wheat, rye, barley and oats, breads are one of the first things you might learn to pass up. There are gluten-free sandwich breads available, but you might have to search for them.
Try making your own bread. Many bread machine mixes are gluten-free, but it’s easier than you think to make your own by hand. Try this recipe adapted from “Gluten-free Cooking.”
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten free.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons instant dried yeast
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the dried yeast, sugar, water and milk. Allow the mixture to stand for about 5 minutes or until it turns frothy.
- Use a large bowl and sift together the rice flour, potato flour and cornmeal.
- Add the salt, egg, olive oil and yeast mixture to the dried mixture (along with the optional ingredients). Stir the ingredients together to form a stiff batter.
- Pour the batter into a 2-pound nonstick loaf pan (this is a large pan). Place the pan inside a large plastic bag and securely close the bag. Allow the dough to sit in the bag for about 45 minutes, or until it rises.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes. When the bread is cooked, transfer it to a wire rack to cool. Slice the bread as you’re ready to eat it.
Gluten-free baking flour and cookiesGluten-free quinoa granolaGluten-free broccoli, egg and rice scramble
- Nutella pudding
- Budget-friendly snack ideas for kids
- Sunday Dinner: Baked cod with chimichurri sauce
- Drive-thru Gourmet: Arctic Zero makes ice cream for dieters
- What to eat before and after a workout